Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday, April 4, 2010

Thursday on my way to the employment centre just in front of the Comfort Hotel were two very large ground hogs, they were not the least bit afraid of me as I walked toward them. Small look-like beavers with fluffy hair. I had expected ground hogs to be the size of our western gophers, these were more the size of large rabbits with short ears. This was a first for me.

Good Friday after our apartment got its weekly cleaning we packed a lunch and went to find an entrance to the walkway along the Humber River. The water for this river collects from 750 creeks and tributaries in a fan shaped area north of Toronto, snaking 100 kms south into Lake Ontario. We did find an entrance about a mile from our apartment. The river is muddy with winter run off, it moves along at a pretty good speed. The temperature was in the low 20's as we walked along the river - bikers on the path and ducks in the water. Pretty nice. We found a bench and enjoyed our bacon, tomatoe and cheese sandwiches.
Next we made our way back to the employment office to work some more on our career presentation for this Tuesday. At around 7:00 I had finished typing the revisions and we began wraping up to go home. I went to the room where we had been using the fax machine, and as I closed the locked door I immediately realized that Grant had put his keys on the counter by the fax machine. Oh no, what to do. It was Easter weekend - we could not get into our car, we could not lock the centre door, who could we phone to open the locked door? What a helpless feeling. We knew there wouldn't be anyone in the centre until Monday Morning. We had two phone numbers for the building maintenance director. We called Henry Lau, he was in Richmond Hill - about 25 minutes away by car. He said not to worry he would come and unlock the door for us. We were rescued!

Saturday the elders ask us if we would like to contribute to pot luch lunch between conference sessions. This was a pleasant visiting and eating time with new converts. This we did as well on Sunday between meetings. Grant and I felt the spirit of God through the talks by the general authorities and the heavenly music. This next week will be a very busy one but I will report on this later.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. I have a few times locked myself in my stairwell after work hours (having left my key in my pants) with no one to let me in and no access to my bike to ride home. Aaaghh!

    We were envious of the nice weather you had and would have traded it for the cold, windstorms and power outages we enjoyed in Victoria.

    ReplyDelete